Monday, September 27, 2010

Changing The World, One Step At A Time

In the last few classes, as I sit listening to my class mates, everyone seems to have a story of conflict to share. Of course the level of conflict and the kind of conflict differs from each other. However, it seems to reinforce that conflict is an inevitable part of human life.

I like to be romantic.
I like to think of myself as a tragic victim.
In this theatre of life, I am the damned.
It sounds romantic to say, " Oh, I am a Tibetan but I have lived all of my life in India".

As I grow up and I meet all kinds of people, I have started to question this romanticism?
Does this mentality inhibit me from acting?
It seems that, at some point, everyone has gone through conflicts. It is not just me.
Conflict is part of being humane.

Today, Victor talked about the Dudley street again. I love hearing real stories because it gives new meaning to the models. If you just stare at the nested egg diagram or lederach triangle, it is so academic. But when you apply this to a real life situation, you develop the curiosity to know more. You appreciate education.

At the end of today's class, I realized something. I realised that whenever we talk of conflict, we are always taking examples of other people. Even with myself, I think the American government's wars are selfish and un-necessary. I think such and such politicians devalues democracy.

But, wait, hold on. Maybe, I should ask myself first. Before pointing my fingers out to the world, I should point it to myself.

Self-criticism is a virtue.

Maybe, we don't really need to change the world as such. It has become such a cliche anyways.
Maybe, what we need is to change ourself.

Maybe, we dont need to go around the world to make a difference.
Maybe, it starts with oneself.
This doesn't sound romantic at all. But seems at times, pragmatism should prevail.

Yes, thats my new thought. " Changing The World, One Step At A Time"

No comments:

Post a Comment