Thursday, December 2, 2010

"You know, People in War Also Fall In Love"

Uncertainty and Confusion are my constant companions.
It is the only life I have known so far. There are few things I am sure about.
But one thing that I do know, almost fully, is that literature is my passion.
I worry at times that it has become my indulgent drug but I cannot help myself
from getting moved by the ways in which people can express themselves. Thats how I realize
that Arundhati Roy's political thoughts has such a strong influence on me. Its because she writes well.

Anyways, unlike my normal entries, I do have a point of mentioning about my passionate affair with literature.
I am always up for listening to new thoughts- and more so to new perspectives on old thoughts-but sometimes, when accuracy of the definitions are over-rated and sophistication is all I can hear and appreciate from a lecture ( or for that matter, a reading), I get disillusioned. See, many insightful researches are conducted to create better awareness about issues. Then you must know that as important are your thoughts, so is the expression you use. What is the point of saying complicated ideas if people cannot understand it? And you know what bothers me most, when I know that someone can use something so much more simpler to convey the same meanings. Its not about how many words you know. Its about how many ways you can use the words you know. Thats when literature comes in. Literature frees us from cloak of complications. It gives us WAYS to express complicated thoughts but in simple language. Unfortunately, I find very few people who has authority over such talents.

The speaker that we heard in a TED video in my peace and justice class, to my luck, just happened to be one of them. As an Iraqi war survivor and a founder of Women for Women International, she was urging the audience to see the war from both the frontline and the backline. War is not only about soldiers fighting. It is also about the less visible but equally important faces of people who survive through the wars. She says this story is not about some unknown refugee, with dirty faces and scared eyes. She gives each woman she mentions an identity. That was graceful.

Look how beautiful she is.
Conflict is not only on the battle line. She is challenging our own attitude of "casually treating the casualties of war". Such million people were killed, Oh how interesting. She wants us to look beyond the statistics and look at war from, permit me to use this word once more, humane way.

She asks us beautiful questions. Do you know, people in war also fall in love? That kisd go to school, adults go to work, there are dancing, there are marriages, divorces and life goes on. She talks about a women who in four years of war, opened her music school so that learning continues.I find it provoking. Indeed, life goes on. Those who live must live when they are alive. For them, the living is difficult. They can die from inside. That is the worst- when you die by living. Still, we endure.

And now the important question is who keeps this living going? The Women. Yes. Then why are women not included in the table that matters- that is the negotiating table of peace? When the lives of women are affected so irreparably, dont they deserve a voice? Dont they deserve a seat on the table?Ask yourself.

Rumi
At the end, she leaves us with words of a 13th century Sufi poet Rumi,

" Out beyond the worlds of right doing and wrong doings,
   There is a field.
   I will meet you there.
 
  When the soul lies down in that grass,
  The world is too full to talk about.
  Ideas, language, even the phrase "each other"
   No longer makes any sense."

Here is the link to the talk. http://www.ted.com/talks/zainab_salbi.html

I dedicate this page to TED- for giving wings to ideas worth listening to.

No comments:

Post a Comment