Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Dudley Street: Yes, You Can

One thing that always bothered me about charity is the psychological effect it has on the people who are helped. I know people who go to developing countries to help have the best intentions in their heart. But imagine you are a child growing up in a poor neighborhood. Adults to whom you are supposed to look up are all failing in their lives. There is nothing people of your kind can do about it. And the only way things seems to change is with the ability of an outsider. Unconsciously yet very firmly, it creates a belief that "those" people are more able than you. That could be true. But then, the kid will not realize the potential within one's community. So long story short, does too much charity disable the mindset of people who are hurt? Does it hurt their self-image? Does it make them question their own ideas? And if it does, will this inhibit them from making a change? If they do deprive them of confidence, that will be disheartening. Because, I am sure, somewhere deep down within each individual, there is always capacity to reach a higher potential. It might take one person longer time to achieve one goal but with persistence and confidence, miracles do happen.

And look what we learned in class today. The Dudley street initiative is a real life miracle story of such a change. Unlike other successful movements,  this initiative was not started by people in business suits, not by politicians, not by money from this and that. It was started by the very people who you see across your streets. With the effort and dedication of local people, Dudley forced many people to change their stereotypes about many things.

I like this spirit. This spirit of fighting back. This fight against repression. Rather than lamenting that everything in life is going wrong and waiting for someone to fix it up, if you stand up and start fighting, it encourages other people to follow your lead. People in Dudley street stood against economic, racial odds to rebuild a community.

These stories reinforces in me the belief that things do change. Maybe, there are not so dramatic as is cliched. Call me an idealist, if you want but I still believe, despite the rationality that works against it, Everything can change. Bringing this belief close to home, I know, somehow, I feel, no I don't think, I feel justice will occur in Tibet. Maybe, we need to think more, sacrifice, be patient and give our best. As long as we don't stop believing in our cause, nobody can change our reality. We are the masters of our own fate.

Bod Gyalo.

I pray for a day when I think of Tibet, it is happiness that comes to my mind. Not sadness, we have enough of the tears. Not frustration, we had enough of rage as well. Happiness. Yes, thats what I pray for.

No comments:

Post a Comment